Saturday, June 7, 2008

Disneyland 1987 - Welcome to Adventure/Frontier



I was quite happy to receive my letter advising that I would soon be a Jungle skipper back in the Spring of 1987. They were in such a rush to hire me, they did not even bother to type in my name, but just scrawled it across the form letter. Ah, the Disney Magic.

Cast Members from the 1980s will certainly remember these little reminder slips. Hope you jotted your shift down correctly!
And how about those cool gift bags you used to get at Disneyland? I must say, the artwork on the gift bags has gone downhill a bit lately. The bag shown here is an example of the fun and very Disney graphics that were used. Oh yeah, back in my day the Park was called by its proper name: "Disneyland." "The Disneyland Resort" is weak. I still don't get why they had to change the name. Come to think of it, I kinda miss the old parking lot, too. Disney's California Adventure has still got a long way to go. At least the "new Disney" is pouring about a billion dollars into DCA in an effort to make up for the penny pinching nonsense that brought us all the first iteration of that park. Here's a thought---try adding some SHADE!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That must've been a very exciting day for you!

Mike said...

Absoulutely! I remember practicing my spiel in my call the whole day after getting the job!

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Nice blog you have, Mike.
I spent a tons of time at Disneyland in the mid 1980s and remember it well, including this bag pattern.
I miss the old parking lot too.

Funny how you added your Jungle Cruise spiel to the comment section. It's been years but I remember the wisecracks.
My favorite:
"There's something you don't see everyday... ...I do."

Mike said...

Hey, thanks! If you have any photos of the Park during the 1980s, post them or email them to me and I will put them up on my site.

I am glad you like the blog. I'm still fairly new at the blogging thing, so I am experimenting here and there.

In any event, I have certainly enjoyed taking each of my guests on an Adventureland-filled trip down Memory Lane, and I sincerely hope that each of you have enjoyed being taken.

Mike

Earl said...

cool vids.. there are many videos uploaded.. ahehehe i hope i can upload many topics to.. ^^